Here’s How to Get Rid of that Mold Smell in the Basement
The basement can be one of the smelliest places in a home, and the odor can be caused by a variety of problems. If the basement smells musty, then it is likely due to the presence of mold and mildew in your basement. Molds and mildew thrive in damp places. To prevent illness caused by mold and mildew, you need to remove the musty odor from your home.
The musty odor is often stronger during the spring and fall seasons when the windows are closed, and the utilities are not running. To avoid a musty odor in the basement, make sure you keep all areas of your home well ventilated.
What Causes the Musty Basement Smell?
Mold and Mildew
Mold and mildew do not only cause odors in the basement, they can also damage the structural integrity of your home on porous surfaces such as wood. The mold spores can also cause health issues like asthma and allergies. There are several ways to maintain the level of humidity in the home, such as open windows and using dehumidifiers.
It is also important to clean the air ducts on a regular basis and have the ventilation system checked at least once every two years.
There are two main causes of damp basements; water leaks and condensation (due to high humidity). If the basement has a musty or damp smell, you should use dehumidifiers. You can also air out the room by opening the windows.
To prevent water leaks, make sure that the basement is waterproofed. A small leak can lead to a lot of moisture on the basement floors. If you can see leaks or water stains, then you should take care of it right away before they can lead to more damage to the foundation of your home.
It is important to inspect the area around the property to make sure that the water flows away from the house and not going to it. Downspouts must be extended at least six feet from the wall. And if you find water pooling near the walls, correct the slope right away, so that pooling along the walls is avoided.
How to Get Rid Of The Musty Smell In Your Basement
As soon as you find out what it is, you need to get rid of that musty basement smell at the source. Just covering up the smell isn’t enough. You need to remove any mold and mildew quickly, and then place dehumidifiers, cat litter, or baking soda to absorb the moisture and any residual odor.
Mold and Mildew Cleaning Solution
If there is mold and mildew in your wet basement, you can begin killing mold with a few simple cleaning products that you can make at home. All you need is to mix one-half cup of bleach with one gallon of warm water.
Place the solution in a spray bottle and clean the area of mold and mildew. Make sure that the windows are open to keep air circulating. You can use the cleaning solution on basement floors, bathrooms, walls, cement, laundry area, and other parts of the basement that will not have a reaction to bleach.
Use Kitty Litter or Baking Soda
Even if you don’t have any pet cats, you can use scented litter or baking soda to get rid of the moldy basement smell. Place it in an open container and put it in the basement. Those two products tend to absorb moisture and odor. This can also work well in vacant houses.
Removing Excess Moisture From The Air
If your basement is underground, there’s a good chance the mold and mildew are coming from excess humidity in the air. The best way to remove moisture from a damp basement is to keep a dehumidifier down there. A single dehumidifier in the basement will remove quite a bit of the dampness and lessen the smell.
Prevent and Clean Up Mold Growth
Preventing mold growth and mold exposure can be done simply and easily with a few easy steps. You can begin alleviating your mold problems as soon as you notice it so that the smell doesn’t spread to the upper levels of your home. It is important that you get rid of the main cause of the problem before you clean up the area. With mold removal, the smell will be less likely to return and prevent mold growing in the near future.
If you need help with Mold Remediation or Odor Removal, give us a call at 888-777-9742!