How to Know if Mold is Making You Sick

Determining whether exposure to mold is making you sick can be difficult. In some instances, mold can definitely make you sick, especially if you have allergies or asthma. Some people experience constant migraines, headaches or shortness of breath while others report brain fog as well; some may also develop fatigue and depression. They can lead to allergic reactions, asthma attacks and even lung infections, especially if your immune system is already suppressed for any reason.

Since symptoms vary amongst different people, it’s easy to mistake these signs for something else like seasonal allergies. It’s best that you not make assumptions either way and check with your doctor. As unlikely as it may be that you are actually at risk from your mold, it’s best to be safe and get medical advice.

It’s common belief “my house isn’t dirty” but small things such as old food left on shelves, will eventually lead to mold showing up if moisture builds up over time…it becomes clear how quickly things spread without our knowledge.

Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions FAQ that often come up regarding the effects exposure to mold, or more specifically black mold, (which isn’t what you think).

Mold FAQ

Q: How to know if mold is making you sick?

A: Mold is one of the most common concerns of illness in homes, but often isn’t the culprit. If you suspect that you or someone else has been exposed to mold, call your doctor immediately. The symptoms of mold exposure can mimic allergic reactions, include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, fatigue, skin rashes, eye irritation, and nosebleeds.

Q: Can eating mold make you sick?

A: Yes, it is possible that eating mold can cause health issues such as vomiting, diarrhea, and headaches. According to the Cleveland Clinic, if you can visibly see mold on food, don’t risk it. Throw it out.

Mold spores are everywhere, and they can be found in food, water, air, soil, and plants. The best way to avoid getting sick from mold is to wash your hands frequently, and to keep your home clean. If you have a concern, wait the day and see if any symptoms show up. If not, you are probably ok.

Q: Can bread mold make you sick?

A: Yes, bread mold can make you sick. Bread molds are fungi that grow on bread. They can cause allergic reactions in some people. The best way to avoid getting sick from bread molds is to keep bread away from your face. If you do eat bread, wash your hands after handling it.

Q: Can mold cause diarrhea?

A: Mold can cause diarrhea because it produces toxins that irritate the intestines. The symptoms of mold poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache, fever, and fatigue. If you suspect that you have been exposed to mold, contact your doctor immediately.

Q: Can drinking mold make you sick?

A: Yes, drinking mold can cause health issues such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, and skin rashes. Mold can be found in food, water, air, and soil. The best way to avoid getting sick from mold is to wash your hands frequently, drink bottled water, and cook all foods thoroughly.

Q: Can mold cause dizziness?

A: Mold can cause dizziness because it contains chemicals called mycotoxins. These toxins can affect the central nervous system and cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms. If you suspect mold exposure, call your doctor immediately.

Q: Can mold make you nauseous?

A: Mold makes you feel sick because it contains toxins that cause nausea. The best way to avoid getting ill from mold is to keep your home clean and dry. If you do find yourself feeling unwell after touching mold, wash your hands immediately with soap and water.

Q: Can mold on cheese make you sick?

A: Mold on cheese can cause illness, especially when it is ingested. The best way to avoid getting ill from eating moldy cheese is to always wash your hands after handling food. If you do eat moldy cheese, then you should seek medical attention immediately.

Q: Drinking mold symptoms?

A: Drinking mold symptoms include a runny nose, sneezing, coughing, and watery eyes. If you experience any of these symptoms, you should contact your doctor immediately.

Q: Can mildew make you sick?

A: Yes, mildew can cause health issues such as asthma, allergies, and other respiratory diseases. The mold spores can be found in damp areas like basements, bathrooms, and kitchens. If you find mold growing in these places, it is best to clean them up immediately.

Q: Can mold in a water bottle make you sick?

A: Mold can grow in a water bottle when the temperature is too high. If you drink from a water bottle that has been sitting for a long period of time, then you may be at risk of getting sick.

Q: Can mold in humidifier make you sick?

A: Mold is a fungus that grows in moist environments such as bathrooms, basements, and kitchens. If you have a humidifier in your home, it may be breeding grounds for mold. The mold spores can enter your lungs through your nose or mouth, causing respiratory issues.

Q: Does mold make you vomit?

A: Mold makes you vomit because it contains a toxin called mycotoxin. This toxin causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, and other symptoms. If you think you have been exposed to mold, call your doctor immediately.

Q: Can mold on grill make you sick?

A: Mold on grills can be dangerous for your health. The mold spores can cause respiratory issues such as asthma, bronchitis, and sinus infections. If you notice any mold growth on your grill, clean it immediately.

Q: Can mold on toothbrush make you sick?

A: Yes, mold on toothbrushes can cause health issues such as asthma, sinusitis, and allergies. The best way to prevent mold from growing on your toothbrush is to keep it clean and dry. If you do not want to throw away your toothbrush, then you should soak it in hot water for 10 minutes. After soaking, rinse it thoroughly with soap and water.

Q: Can mold dishes make you sick?

A: Moldy food can cause health issues such as diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach cramps. If you think you may be experiencing these symptoms, you should contact your doctor immediately.

Q: Can mold in crawl space make you sick?

A: Mold in crawl spaces can cause health issues such as asthma, allergies, and other respiratory problems. If you suspect mold in your crawl space, call a professional immediately.

Q: Can mold in fridge make you sick?

A: Mold is a fungus that grows in moist environments such as refrigerators. If you find mold growing in your refrigerator, you should throw out all food stored inside immediately. The mold may cause health issues such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, and skin rashes.

Q: Can mold in washing machine make you sick?

A: Mold can be found everywhere, especially in places where water is used. If you find mold growing in your home, you should immediately contact a professional who can remove it. Mold can cause health issues such as asthma, allergies, and sinus infections.

Q: Can mold in an attic make you sick?

A: Mold in attic can cause health issues such as asthma, allergies, and other respiratory illnesses. If you suspect that you have mold in your home, contact a professional who can inspect your home for signs of mold growth.

Q: Can mold in a dishwasher make you sick?

A: Yes, Mold in your dishwasher can make you sick. It can cause health problems such as allergies, breathing problems, and more.

Q: How quickly can mold make you sick?

A: If you have a mold allergy your immune system thinks mold is a problem. Your body reacts by nasal congestion or sneezing when you breathe in the spores. Depending on your body you can have this immediately or after exposure.

Q: How long after eating moldy bread will I get sick?

If you end up getting sick from eating bad bread, it will happen within a few hours. Moldy bread can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms.

Recommended Posts
black mold